Thursday, 26 March 2015

Harmless Queries: Dreaming As Inspiration?

Well if this stands, my heart has some pretty weird wishes!

I had this dream yesterday night. It was actually like my usuals: a little fantasy, a little badass and a lot of adventure. I love having these dreams. They are my window to uncharted worlds and possibilities and when I wake up, I'm so excited I want to write them down so I won't forget them because I'm sure I will use them in my writing at some point, you know?

Yeah...well, you know how this goes. I start writing it down and there is no actual connection to what I was dreaming, so I start underlining things that don't make sense and put big question marks above them. Or cross them out and fill the rest of the line's space with possible alternatives or I just use the same old word "something" where I don't know how to fill in the blanks!

Now you will tell me that it is no good trying to make my dreams a solid story idea and I'll tell you that you are right. But it is a great excersise for brainstorming! Because everytime you hit a part that makes no sense, you fill it in with anything that comes to mind at the time because you're in a hurry to write the dream down. Otherwise you will just forget it!

So write your dreams down. Even if you never use them as story elements, you will have developed an idea as much as you can in a very short timeframe. And you will have a nice piece for working on when you are at the known-to-all writer's block. All you need now is a dream journal and a good night's (or day's) sleep!

Did you have a dream that you were sure would be a great story?

1 comment:

  1. Honestly, I never had a dream that I thought it would be a story. Most of the times I don't remember my dreams and when I do, I just don't find them interesting.
    But, there are those moments before I sleep where pretty god stuff happen. You know, the moments where you lie in bed in the complete darkness and let your mind free. Oh, yes, those moments I had many ideas that could be a story and they eventually became scenes and parts in my books. It is indeed a pretty good feeling.

    Happy Friday, Penny!

    ReplyDelete